Friday, June 03, 2016

Of Bullies, Demagogues and Catcalls

So I have been out of the political loop for a month while I was busy with our Summer Camp at Maya Playgarden and already there are a lot of issues to sift through all this political debris. I don't know where to begin. 

First, there is that initial hesitation: should I really make my thoughts appear on print? I just read about Tamara de Jesus' post about how she was bullied when she aired out a contrary opinion and a certain fear engulfs me. But I reckon: why? Don't I have the right to say what's on my mind? I have been blogging for years now. And never, and I mean never, was I ever constrained by anyone. I shiver at the thought of losing my right to free speech and expression.

Second, for the record, my presidential candidate lost. So, my country will have a new administration under former Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte who overwhelmingly won by a large number of votes. We're talking millions! Sixteen million (16M) Filipinos wanted him to be the leader of the land.  Until that day he takes his seat in office, I observe, I take note, and I wait for him and his administration to prove me wrong as I mull over this Bloomberg's post about having a demagogue for a Philippine President. 

Third, as mundane as it may sound to some, catcalling. A respected female journalist, Mariz Umali, was catcalled by our President-elect during an interview which caught the ire of the reporter's husband, another respected journalist, Raffy Tima. Now, this got me and my husband talking about catcalls. And I told him that contrary to popular male opinion, catcalls are not welcome. The only exception would be catcalls from husbands and dear friends as part of an endearment. Catcalls from strangers are best described in our own language as "bastos."  I recalled one time I was catcalled in one of those city jungles in Makati City while I was on my way to work. I stopped, looked back, retraced my steps, scanned the area for the catcaller, finally saw him grinning, looked him in the eye and asked: "Do you need anything from me, Sir?" He was shocked and scurried away. If we go by leadership by example, well........................

Six years. And it hasn't started yet. I am and will always remain hopeful. 

And in the lines of the now famous resurrected song of INOJ "I Want To Be Your Baby, Lady:"

"I'll be watching...."

No comments: